Job Compensation Type
The Department of Parks & Recreation(DPR) is seeking a Park Naturalist to manage and deliver outdoor programs, science and conservation-based festivals, and volunteer events throughout the County for diverse audiences. This employee will promote environmental conservation and stewardship through hands-on work, outdoor skills programs, native plant gardening, invasive removal, park maintenance, and maintaining native animal collections. This position is based at Gulf Branch Nature Center, reports to the Program Manager, and is part of the Conservation and Interpretation Unit.
Specific duties include:
- Develop and manage interpretive programs and exhibits, covering a wide range of natural history topics for a diverse group of audiences;
- Promote community relations by developing special community outreach programs that focus on conservation and stewardship;
- Maintain native plant gardens and a live animal collection, including supporting wildlife rehabilitation and ensuring the care of injured wildlife;
- Manage programs, large scale events, group tours and public use of the facility, including provide safety and security of the facilities;
- Coordinate and oversee work of volunteers and temporary/seasonal staff;
- Provide guidance on professional technical issues along with input and assistance to other professionals and County staff;
- Assist with the park maintenance and conservation by participating in biotic inventories and related resource management activities;
- Perform administrative tasks such as organizing and coordinating conservation projects and prepare educational brochures and other written material as required; and
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Natural History Research, Environmental Education, Wildlife Sciences, Natural Resource Management, Biology, or related field; and
- Some experience in park programming, natural resource management, natural history research, and/or exhibit construction and design.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement.
$66,019.20 - $100,755.20