Job Compensation Type
Deadline to Apply
Qualified candidates will have the ability to assess and develop current brand positioning and develop internal processes and capabilities to oversee integrated campaigns from concept to execution. The person in this position must have strong leadership skills, high standards for creative development and marketing execution, and be able to manage multiple projects and direct reports simultaneously. This role requires a high level of team collaboration, comfort operating in a fast-paced environment, working knowledge of traditional and digital media, and an in-depth understanding of metric analysis and reporting.
· In collaboration with Senior Leadership and other staff, develop overarching branding to capture and communicate BHA’s mission, create brand cohesion across the organization, and increase brand recognition and loyalty;
· Ensure consistency between BHA’s mission and values, creative executions, and messaging;
· Continually analyze and optimize marketing activities to contribute to membership growth and retention, fundraising, merchandise sales and other bottom-line functions;
· Develop a comprehensive approach to marketing that ensures communications, promotions, initiatives, and event partnerships are well-timed and complimentary;
· Drive public engagement on critical policy issues by working in close collaboration with Policy and Comms Staff, chapter leaders and media;
· Develop and maintain media relationships with traditional and non-endemic partners;
· Optimize chapter fundraising potential by empowering the Events & Marketing Coordinator to develop programs, events, and assets to deploy at the grassroots level;
· Oversee the internal communications team and contractors (as needed);
· Manage and improve internal systems and processes for all marketing and communication needs;
· Work closely with the BHA Journal Editor to maintain our quarterly magazine as a cornerstone recruiting tool and member benefit;
· Oversee production of the BHA Podcast & Blast to produce episodes that reflect the conservation, stewardship, and lifestyle interests of BHA members and supporters and highlight key staff and chapter efforts;
· Develop and manage marketing budgets;
· Support sustainability and diversity, equity and inclusion policy;
· Develop corporate contacts for collaborations and sponsorships with Conservation Partnership Manager.
· Master’s or bachelor’s degree in marketing and communications, Business or extensive career experience in related field;
· Passion for BHA’s work and mission;
· Must be a hunter and/or angler with an understanding of hunting culture, BHA ethos, and the hunting/angling landscape on social media;
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including expert editing skills and familiarity with AP style;
· Excellent time and project management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work
· Strong attention to detail, highly organized, decisive and a quick problem solver;
· Ability to work with a diverse team of staff and partners across North America and effectively use internal systems to develop and execute work;
· Capability to sit at a desk for extended periods working on computer; lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to 25 pounds;
· Must have a valid driver’s license.
BHA is headquartered in Missoula, Montana. We offer a stimulating and fun work environment, health insurance and 401K plan match, generous leave package including annual time off for backcountry hunting/fishing, and discounts with BHA corporate partners.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience
Location: Missoula, Montana or remote options available
Application: To apply send a cover letter and resume to the hiring committee at Careers@backcountryhunters.org with the subject line “VP of Marketing & Communications”
Please attach your cover letter and resume as one pdf document. The application cover letter should outline both your interest in and qualifications for this position.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Inc. is an equal-opportunity employer.
Starting Salary: Dependent on experience