Job Compensation Type
Deadline to Apply
The Nature Preschool Teacher aids the Nature Preschool Lead Teacher in maintaining a developmentally appropriate classroom for children ages 3 to 5. The Nature Preschool Teacher is responsible for the implementation of the philosophy and policies of Cleveland Metroparks Nature Preschool under the direction and guidance of the Nature Preschool Program Administrator and Director of Outdoor Experiences. The position is employed yearly with Cleveland Metroparks for the nine-month school year and may include summer hours. The finalist will be subject to background checks, physical and training as required by Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services.
- Assists the Lead Teacher in developing and implementing nature-based, developmentally appropriate curriculum and activities that reflect the needs of the children, the standards of early childhood education, and the mission of Cleveland Metroparks Nature Preschool.
- Works with the Nature Preschool Lead Teacher to generate weekly lesson plans that focus on students' interests.
- Works with the Nature Preschool Administrator to ensure that high quality programming and care for students is being provided.
- Assists with daily tasks and the individual needs of the children such as receiving and aiding in dressing and undressing for outdoor play, snack preparations, cleaning, etc. Classroom settings include both an indoor classroom and an outdoor classroom. Leads children on hikes and assists with moving children between indoor and outdoor classroom setting locations.
- Ensures the health, safety and well-being of students through site surveys and daily check-ins with students; develops and implements on-going evaluation methods designed to aid in the creation of individualized growth plans for each student that can be shared with parents; documents the learning and development that occurs in the classroom using a variety of methods for both internal and external use; and maintains clear communications with fellow staff, interns, students, and their families to achieve common goals and avoid potential conflicts.
- Promotes a close relationship with parents through daily, weekly, and monthly communications through conducting regular meetings, phone calls, and parent conferences; and ensures families feel that their traditions, experiences, and individual needs are reflected through all aspects of the program.
- Participates in Cleveland Metroparks Nature Preschool staff meetings and special events to ensure connection with the rest of the staff and families.
- Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred from an accredited college or university in Early Childhood Education or Environmental Education combined with child development coursework. Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field required, or currently enrolled in the second year of a college credit program in early childhood development or education, or have completed a two year career- technical program in child development.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience teaching children ages three to five years of age.
- Certifications in Growing Up Wild, Project Learning Tree: Environmental Experiences for Early Childhood, National Association for Interpretation are preferred.
- Must obtain and maintain a certification in child and adult CPR, basic first aid, and management of communicable disease. Must maintain child abuse recognition and prevention training and complete all ODJFS required annual training. Must successfully pass drug screen, background check, and criminal investigation checks.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and implementing outdoor programs for a preschool level audience and understanding of Early Learning Developmental Standards (ELDS).
- Demonstrated knowledge of the natural and cultural history of the region.
- Experience and comfortable taking children into nature in all weather conditions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Basic understanding of HighScope/CORAdvantage, Reggio Emilia or play-based learning.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, including employees and the general public.
- Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Management skills and strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Proficiency in software programs including all Microsoft Office programs.
- Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including the ability to manage confidential information.
- Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.
Wage: $16.00-$17.00 per hour
Work Schedule: Candidate will work primarily Monday-Friday 34-35 hours per week starting in August 2023. Candidate must have a flexible schedule and be willing to work occasional weekends, holidays, and evenings. This is a school year position and the teacher will be off for winter break, spring break, and most of the summer. This position requires the additional background checks, physical, and trainings required per ODJFS.
Candidate will be primarily assigned to one of our Nature Preschool Locations - Garfield Park, North Chagrin. or Rocky River - but may be asked to assist in other locations as needed.
Filing Deadline: Open until filled
To Apply: Please visit our career site at www.clevelandmetroparks.com or copy and paste the following link into your web browser:
$16.00 - $17.00 per hour