Job Compensation Type
Deadline to Apply
Santa Barbara, CA
As a Naturalist at The Outdoor School at Rancho Alegre, you will play a pivotal role in delivering our educational programs. This is a full-time seasonal position, and housing is provided during the season start and end dates
- 21 years or older
- BA/BS in outdoor/environmental education, environmental science, science degree, related field, OR relevant experience.
- Valid driver’s license or state ID and social security card, or United States Passport.
- Ability to pass background check
- Positive role model for minors.
- Documented experience and ability to teach an outdoor science school curriculum to school children.
- Strong knowledge of local ecology, geology, and natural history or willingness to learn
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, especially in working with 5th and 6th grade students
- First Aid and CPR certification (or willingness to obtain).
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Enthusiasm for outdoor activities and a passion for environmental education.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a dynamic, outdoor environment.
- Desire to live and work in a camp community
- Ability to conduct skits, songs and/or stories in front of large groups of children & adults.
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision from and to work with others.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
- Be able to walk / hike 7+ miles a day
- Love working outdoors – rain or shine
- Characteristics such as flexibility, a positive outlook, creativity, concern for safety, good interpersonal skills, adaptability, decision-making skills, maturity, integrity, and approachability.
- 3+ years of Outdoor Education Experience
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Lead five curriculum-based hikes, educating students on local flora and fauna, geology, ecology, and conservation principles. Ensure a safe and enjoyable hiking experience for all participants.
- Organize and lead special activities, such as campfires, nine-mile hikes, arts & crafts, and team-building exercises, and to enhance students’ understanding of and appreciation for the natural world.
- Collaborate with the program team to assist with logistical aspects of the program, including mealtime supervision and general camp support.
- Prioritize the safety and well-being of all program participants, following established safety protocols and emergency procedures.
- Inspire a sense of environmental responsibility among students, emphasizing the importance of conservation and sustainable practices.
- Provide retail help in the Trading Post when assigned.
- Clean and maintain camp equipment and course materials.
- Assist with the general cleanup and cleaning of camp.
- Participate in staff training.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings.
- Program Duration: 4 days, 3 nights
- Program Location Santa Barbara, CA
- Work Schedule: 40 hours per week
- Housing: On-site housing provided during season start and end dates
- Meals provided during program days
- Season March 25th – June 7th
- Start March 25th, End June 7th with the potential to sign on for the 2024/2025 season
At The Outdoor School at Rancho Alegre, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We encourage individuals from all backgrounds to apply.
Join our team of dedicated naturalists and help us inspire a lifelong love of nature and a commitment to environmental conservation in the next generation. Your passion for the outdoors and education can make a meaningful difference in the lives of students and the future of our planet.
Interested in joining our naturalist team?
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
$640 a week
Housing throughout the season
Meals while program is running