Job Compensation Type
Deadline to Apply
Teatown Lake Reservation, the largest community supported, non-profit environmental education center in Westchester County, New York is seeking a part-time Animal Care Assistant to work as part of the animal husbandry team. This position requires a motivated, collaborative attitude, ability to work independently, and attention to detail. Ideal candidates will have familiarity with handling and caring for a wide variety of animals.
Position Summary: The Animal Care Assistant is charged with supporting the health and well-being of our live collection. The Animal Care Assistant must become familiar with our collection, care, and training approach.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the daily care, health, and maintenance of the animal collection.
- Support educators in responsible use of tractable animals.
- Attend all team meetings and training sessions as required.
- Responsible for maintenance and cleanliness of equipment, supplies, and animal care locations.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- One year commitment required.
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
- Demonstrated experience caring for a variety of animals – raptors, reptiles, amphibians, mammals, etc.
- Interest in environmental education helpful but not necessary, experience and/or education in animal husbandry preferred.
- Physically active and demanding position.
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions: heat, rain, etc.
- Must be physically able to bend, stand on stools, lift, and carry up to 20 lbs.
- Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination sequence, including booster shot(s) where applicable.
Work Schedule: Weekdays, 9 am – 12 pm; 21 hours per week; schedule somewhat flexible. This position will be performed in person and on-site at Teatown Lake Reservation in all weather conditions.
Training Plan: Teatown uses choice-based training with our animal ambassadors. You will be trained by the Animal Care Supervisor to perform daily visual animal welfare checks, prepare and feed proper diets, and maintain spaces to Teatown and USDA standards. Daily tasks will include cleaning and feeding. The Animal Care Assistant will not immediately handle Teatown’s raptors or non-domestic mammals; extensive training is required for working with this part of our collection, unless candidate has prior experience.
Benefits: Because this is a part-time position, this position will not be eligible for certain elements of Teatown’s benefits package, including dental, and vision. This position does accrue a limited number of vacation hours.
Pay Rate: $15-18/hour